Monday, June 6, 2011

8 Ways to Stalk Businesses

I really need to stop saying things like "I'll post again soon" and "I'll post again this week to give you an update." Yeah, because I am totally the kind of person to keep up with this stuff.

ANYWAY, TO THE REAL BLOGGING.

So for work the past couple of days my boss has decided that she wants a Twitter account. Understandable, as Twitter is a great way for people to follow us when we're doing shows, get updates on when we are doing demos and updates for our products. It makes a lot of sense. The fun part is that for a day I was getting paid to be on Facebook and Twitter all day, looking up companies and seeing what they had on their pages. It was probably the best work day ever. In the end, she decided Facebook was too much upkeep and Twitter would be a lot easier to deal with.

So, my company now has a Twitter feed. It's not officially set up yet, as we are still ironing out all the details and getting its page set-up, but so far one of my co-workers is super duper excited about it. I mean really excited about it. My boss was on the phone with her and she was ecstatic about the whole thing. Even my dad wants to start up a Twitter feed for himself. In other words, I'm probably going to have to set-up a company meeting to teach everyone how to use Twitter. How great is that?

This brings us to the title of today's post. As we are all aware, it is really easy to find people on the internet. Then from there, it is really easy to find out a lot of information about them, from what websites they use to where they live. Today, though, my dad sent me a link about social media's in business called "8 Tips for Blogger Outreach." It was an interesting read, but about halfway through the article I sat back and was like, "My god. This entire article is telling me how to stalk people and ninja them into my blog. What the hell." It was all about business blogging and getting companies to guest post on them, but still, he was telling you all these ways to get to know the companies beforehand, so you aren't just shooting them an e-mail out of the blue. It was all clever, but still creepy.

Of course, using the internet to get to know people is nothing new. I mean, it is 2011, and the internet has become part of the core of our society. It's just I always seem to forgot how easy it is for people to hunt you down on the internet. And the more unique the name, the easier it is to find stuff about you. Seriously, ever google yourself or your typical username? Sometimes it's really easy to find all the things you are a part of. Which reminds me of the time George decided to hunt down my Livejournal, and succeeded.

The internet can be really creepy sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment