Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Writing

So something that I have always enjoyed is writing. I really do. Ever since I was little. I used to take my dad's old laptop, make a fort in my room, and then write random stories about whatever I could think of. A lot of times it involved my stuffed animals and random things like that, but it was always a lot of fun. At my school we always had stuff like the "Young Authors" competition and things of that nature. I even once got invited in 3rd grade to go to this place and write a story. I remember they gave you an introduction and you had to come up with something from there. The one I had was about finding a random trap door in the woods, and I wrote this story about doors leading into basically other dimensions. It was great.

I also got into a lot of trouble that day. I didn't do any of my morning homework (because I was going to be at the thing until like, 1 or something) and so I figured I could put it all off. But when I got back the teacher wanted my work and I was like OH GOD NOOOOOOO. Ah well.







There was this one time in 8th grade where I got put into this special group for Young Authors. The idea was that we were good writers and this was to help us become even better! I was excited, because I had been planning mine for a while and was looking forward to it. So one day, while everyone else was put aside to work on their books. So the special group is sitting at this one table and this lady introduces herself as our mentor (I guess? I don't really know what else to call her). She then asks us about our story ideas and we go around the table.



See, my idea was that I wanted to have this story that takes place in a fantasy world (of course. All I do is fantasy) and this boy's father is a very important scout for the kingdom. But one day, while out and about, his father gets this important document that must make it's way to one of the forward bases (or something), but the father dies and the son has to take on the task. It was basically super important that the father died, it kind of drove the story.

So I tell the lady my idea, but she doesn't like the fact that the father dies. I tell her it's kind of the driving thing for the story. She tells me to keep him alive. I legit got SO MAD. I tried to find a work around it, but she basically derailed the whole story. What was I supposed to do instead? I spent forever trying to find out another way to make it interesting, but she basically wanted it to be all happy and rainbows or some shit. I gave up, wrote out a story in like two days and handed it in. I hated what I had written, because I was no longer enjoying the experience. My sister, in 5th grade, wrote a story about a girl who cuts herself. Granted, she got sent to the guidance counselor and our parents called concerned there was trouble at home, but if she could do that in fifth, why couldn't I do death in 8th? Ugh. It was awful.

Anyway, out of all my goals for the summer basically the only one I have kept is the damn writing one. I feel bad, ya know? I get home at like 5:30 and then I just don't want to do anything. It's like, I WANT to work on all this stuff, but getting started is the hard part. People usually say if you can get past 3 days you can usually succeed.

It's pretty true.

Also, random, but I suddenly decided I'm going to California. I think after I graduate, but I'm not sure. I don't know. All I know is I am going to save up and go. Why? Just because. I've realized I haven't really gone anywhere, and I was reading this article about how going to new places kind of changes your perspective on things. Since I probably can't afford to go to another country (as much as I would LOVE to), so I figured why not Cali? I have a cousin there, so I could live with her for a while and work at whatever job. My mom told my sister she should go and learn to bar tend from her. I would much rather do that, so I think it would be fun. Plus, maybe it will help me get a real job, as I either have to go east or west coast for the big companies.

I just want to do something spontaneous and outrageous.

I made a list last night of most of the stuff I need/want to get done. I forgot about a few things, but if I start putting the list together it helps me knock things off. If it's all there and an overwhelming list I'll usually be like "Okay, let's get something done to shorten this bitch up!" It helps that I put a lot of stupid stuff on there, like clean room or do something on a game I am playing. If I start knocking stuff off I get into this "YEAH LET'S CROSS MORE STUFF OFF WOOO" kind of mode. It's pretty fun.

My friend Claudia and I have this story thing going on. Basically, we write letters to each other in a persona and make stories. This one is taking place in the 1920's and I own a bunch of Speakeasies. Everything is very vague as we start to develop the story, but so far it's been a lot of fun. I just have to do a bunch of research for my response letter because I have to fabricate a whole story for the meetup of these two other characters and I want it to sound really legit. I'm very excited though.

Google docs has basically become my new best friend. I've been writing down a lot of information for story ideas and other things and it helps to have it all online so I can access it from anywhere. I used to have a word doc that I would transfer around, but that has the problem of getting lost or being the wrong version. Plus it's a hassle.

That's all for now. I'll try to come up with something interesting to write about soon.
~G

No comments:

Post a Comment